Friday, February 20, 2009

Gloom and Doom...and things go Boom!

So…………..its been a while since the last post…2 and a half weeks almost. I’ve actually lost track of the number of things that have happened during that time. Not like I’ve been rocking the party scene or some such…but just generally….life has just flown by!!

No seriously…it couldn’t have been more obvious than the trip back home today. I get off work, get into a cab and…BAM!....in 5 mins I am faaaaaaaast asleep! The next thing I know, the cabby is telling me, “Saab! Abhi right lena hai ya left?” I was like, what? We just took off dude…don’t tell me you don’t know the way!! And then I realized I was right outside the colony road and the dude did have a valid question. (It was also kinda freaky that he knew the way uptil there without directions since I live in some remote corner that most cabbies, especially from lower parel, have never heard of. Or maybe I gave him directions I don’t remember…like that other time when….never mind) So anyway, here we are having driven for about 80 mins and all I was awake for was the first 5! Boy, was I exhausted!

Its been like that for almost a month and half now! I’ve been tired, exhausted, beat, burnt out…whatever you want to call it. And I don’t know why! I think its mental more than physical! I’m mentally just not there….or here…or anywhere for that matter! I need a vacation…a break..for a month or so! (Since, that’s not going to happen, I’d settle for a week!) The batteries are seriously low on fluid and as Steve Slater would say…”I’m running on fumes!!” (That’s F1 for the uninitiated..) Work too has been slow. Not that I don’t have work…its just been slow! I’ve managed to finish off stuff, but without quiet being there! You know that feeling when you know you’ve done something but could have done so much better if only you were feeling better?? That!

But I did have some fun in the meantime as well…..all was not gloom and doom..(when things go BOOM!..in Dexter’s laaaaaaaaaab!!! I loved that song!)

I did manage to finish 2 books…both good, interesting ones. But somehow I think I haven’t really found a truly amazing book of late inspite of my Crosswords sojourns. You know the Da Vince Code, Pelican Brief types. They’ve all been ok. Not too bad..not too good. I miss the days when I could sit and read Hardy Boys and Nancy Drews and think, “Wow! Good Book!” You eventually grow out of them and expect more and then realize there are not too may excellent writers out there. There are a few good ones, but no great ones. It’s all too commercial I think. Authors don’t give themselves time to write a truly good book. They are too caught up with deadlines, not unlike lesser mortals like us (or me atleast!) Makes you wonder what the conversation between a writer and his agent would be like…

Writer: Look, I need more time to finish this book. Writing a book is a long and painstaking process! I need to find the right characters, right situation, right plot and the right ending. I can’t just throw some people together and make a story!

Agent: Yeah I know that and I totally understand. But we have promised the publishers Saturday, and today’s already Wednesday…so we need to work towards…..

Writer: The publishers can go to hell…all I care about is my book. If it’s not ready it’s not ready. Tell them that!

Agent: Hm…oh. Ok. But that would mean that you would have to forfeit 80% of the balance on the book…

Writer: Ok then. How does this sound? 5 people on a deserted island, a murderer is on the loose, one of the girls is really hot and finally her boyfriend is the murderer.

Agent: Can this be done by Friday?

Writer: I’ll give it to you on Thursday..

Agent: Great!


Then the writer makes a million bucks and the cover of his book says, “The number one bestseller”, “Absolute page-turner” etc, etc. He walks away with a 7 figure earning, the agent gets his 20% and losers like me pay 300 bucks for it!

Anyway with that self de-grading thought I’d close the blog for today. My ear is slammed shut and I can’t hear a thing. Need to go get that looked at. So see you, tata, bbye and adios!

No comments: