Monday, February 2, 2009

In sickness and in health.....

T’was a bad week this. It really was! I was sick for most of it, which meant that I didn’t really get out and do much. Still managed to get my sorry ass into office from Wednesday to Friday though, (Albeit for only half the day!)….but hey! Atleast I made the effort!

Rather sad though that I can’t say the same about my gymming. I went regularly from Dec 28 to about Jan 20, after which due to a combination of long work hours and hence general exhaustion and sickness (as well as a generous dose of laziness) I have not seen the inside of the gym I paid a bomb for in a long time! (12 days to be precise!!) Rather sad considering that it was my new year’s resolution and such. (Apparently, gym membership increases and gyms also see highest turnout for the first few months every year. Then the turnout steadily dwindles till the next Jan where the pattern repeats!! It’s a fact! Gyms make a killing on the New Year’s resolution hype!! I’m a living example!) Anyways…I’m hoping to make it to the gym before end of day today. (I’m contemplating the actions even as I write these words. You see I need to get up, change, pack my gym bag, drive all the way to the gym, gym, drive back…..man I’m so bored!!) Where there’s a will, there’s a way!! Let’s see if that works!

Talking of will though, Federer seems to have lost all will to even try and beat Rafa. He seems content to take him to 5 sets and then just play out the fifth for the heck of it. I can understand his frustration….I really can! Rafa’s good. He’s bordering on excellent, for crying out loud! But Federer, the master of all that panache, charisma, beauty and sauveness that is tennis, should really be making more of the Nadal matches. He seems almost scared to beat Rafa at times. His play lacks confidence and finality about it. He seems content just keeping the ball in play or trying some outrageous winner. All he needs to do is stick to what he does best; confidently belt the ball to the bylines with pinpoint precision and the rest will follow. But the Nadal is a different cookie altogether! “The man from Mallorca” as the call him, has a knack of returning the best of shots and you really need to have something special to beat him. And Federer has it. He just doesn’t know it. Rafa is having a purple patch when he is at the peak of his prowess and the game doesn’t have another player like him. Federer as a consequence is suffering from having to adapt to the “new” game that Rafa plays. Plus he is left handed making a lot of tough Federer forehands look simple to return. I’m sure in time Federer will sort him out, but the question is simply…will it be soon enough?

While on Tennis, nice to see Sania Mirza win her first grand slam alongside Bhupati. They deserved to win by all means and a convincing trouncing of Ram/Dechy will definitely inspire confidence for the pair. I really do feel Mirza is more suited to mixed doubles with a proven net player like Bhupati because she has the powerful groundstrokes to trouble even the men in mixed doubles! Hope this is the first of many!

Right then….I still have a lot to say about 3 books I have read over the last week, my victory over the Barclay’s Card Priority Circle Membership guys (Woo! Hoo!), my switch from Airtel to Vodaphone and some other stuff. But for now, I’m tired, exhausted and really need to get some sleep before tomorrow considering that it is already past midnight! Whew! So catchya ltr..alligator!

No comments: